If you have never heard of Texas Caviar, let me introduce you. Texas Caviar is a mixture of black-eyed peas, onions, peppers, corn, jalapeno, oil, vinegar, and cilantro. There are many variations of this mixture but this is how my family likes it!
This is great to make for a party or to keep in your dorm as an after-school snack. It keeps well for a couple days in the fridge and goes great with tortilla chips.
1 can of Black-eyed peas
1/2 of a small red onion or 1/4 of a large red onion
1/2 of a Pepper
Cilantro (as much as you like)
4 Tbsp of Olive Oil
7 Tbsp of Red Wine Vinegar
Salt and Pepper
*This time that I made it I only had fresh corn on hand but I usually use canned corn.
- Rinse your Black-eyed peas and place in your mixing bowl.
- Finely chop your onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno and add it to the bowl.
- Add the cilantro, olive oil, and red wine vinegar.
- Mix until completely combined and then add salt and pepper to taste.
- If you are making this for a party, I recommend you make it a few hours in advance because it tastes better after the flavors have melded for a while.